Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pure Faith of Children

So we ran into a hump with swim lessons. I don't know what happened. One day, lessons are super, and Clara is really doing well. The next one she won't focus or listen and her progress seems to completely stop. For about 5 LESSONS!

I didn't know what to do, I am not sure her swim teacher did either. Coincidentally, she was acting this way at home too. I know it's a stage, I know kids go through these things, over and over. But that doesn't take away from how frustrating it is. So . . . what do we do? I honestly didn't know.

And then one day a thought came to me on the way to the lesson. While we were using the restroom before the lesson (no potty in the pool, pool rules #6!) I asked Clara if she would like to say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father for help. She was really excited to do that. She says her sweet, simple little prayer. "Help me focus, help me do good, help me to obey." And the lesson went so well. I almost couldn't believe it. In the middle of the lesson, she looked up at me and said, "The prayer worked Mom! Heavenly Father is helping me!"

On the way home, she was so happy. But at the same time unfazed that it worked, because she has complete faith. We haven't missed a prayer before lessons yet, usually because of her insistence. Her complete faith is so amazing to me, especially because as adults I don't think that it always comes as easy to us-especially when it should.

I love that as parents we learn so much from our kids. I think that most become parents thinking that it's our job to teach them everything that they need to know. But do we realize that we, as parents, really have so much more to learn from them?

1 comment:

America said...

That's amazing! Thanks for sharing that story! I love how innocent and trusting children are!